Thursday 23 January 2014

Natalie Low - Art, Poetry and Love

Natalie Low
Welcome to Jawspring, the exhibition that is celebrating World Poetry Day on the 21st March by fusing Art and Poetry.

Today we have a writer who I worked with for over 10 years so I should know her very well. When I was living in France I would write illustrated letters to my friends, describing the landscape, colour and atmosphere of rural life in the southern village of Cambieure. More friends and their friends wanted to join in too, so I set up a subscription service and started to send large clutches of these out into the world. Soon I needed writers to collaborate with and I started to meld my drawings with the words of Tanya Kreisky and Natalie Aye Maung.


Subscribed 'Letter'
I would create these images on long strips of envelope friendly paper and send off to Natalie, who lived in England. After a few weeks the selection of inspired words found their way through the various postal systems and into the hands of my post mistress. At first we added a note or two in our envelopes, soon these developed into full blown hand-written letters and eventually blossomed into romance. As you can see she is no longer Aye Maung but Low and still remains my closest collaborator. Here's her haiku for the Jawspring exhibition.....

Smashed M and Ms on
the floor of the bus tonight
like sad dead fireworks

Natalie Low's
Sushi haiku
We have printed her poem onto this model sushi and will be exhibiting it at the Village Hall Gallery from the 19th-24th March 2014. If you would like to join us, please send a haiku or poem (less than 80 characters) to me Alban at albanlow@hotmail.com or tweet  @albanart
Full details are on our submit poems page.

 All these Sushi Laureates can be found on their designated page.
 
AL.

No comments:

Post a Comment